The OWGS has ambitious plans for the future…
It is our purpose:
- To enable our best golfers to compete in the major inter-school competitions, specifically the Halford Hewitt, the Grafton Morrish and the Cyril Gray [see links below]
- To provide social golf for OWs of all ages and abilities, parents, and teachers at the School
- To connect golfers in the Whitgift community worldwide
Excellent Events on Excellent Courses
The society currently hosts four main events for members during the year at some excellent courses such as The Addington, West Hill and Royal Ashdown Forest.
We play matches against other Old Boy associations, and one, generally at a higher standard, against the School. The Society organises an autumn tour, and runs a knockout competition for members, every year.
However, our proposals for the future extend further. We intend to arrange…
- More fixtures on higher quality courses
- An ‘annual meeting’ at a top course (eg Royal Cinque Ports) aimed at all ages and abilities and with a dinner attached
- ‘Cohort’ meetings, specifically for OWs of a similar age to meet
- More matches against other old boy societies for different standards of golfer.
In addition to social golf events, we enter major team events played off scratch. These include the prestigious Halford Hewitt , Grafton Morrish and for the over 50s, the Cyril Gray. Although we are yet to win the Halford Hewitt, a largely youthful team means we have great hope for success in the future, especially when you consider the additional talent emerging from the school’s golf academy.